Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2012

I've got to get me some of those!

I have got to get myself some implants.  Chance has taken to finding a quiet spot in the house, taking off his implants and reading.  The reading part is great, but he does not tell us he is going "off-line" so to speak so we have had some frantic searches at our house.

One time I had to go to an appointment and Chance was going to watch his siblings.  When it came time for me to leave, I could not find him.  I called Chance's name,  searched his bedroom, downstairs and the yard.  Not a trace of Chance could be found.

Chance and his Dad on Scout backpacking camping trip
in our local mountains.
Chance's siblings fanned out through the cul-de-sac, asking at friends' houses for him and peeking in backyards.

It turns out, Chance was under the stairs, implants off in silent bliss.  Good for him, not so good for me.

Then, another time Chance was laying on the couch downstairs, back to the door, reading away while we all called him and tried to figure out where he was.

There have been phone calls for him and friends coming over where after calling out for Chance, I have had to admit to people that I did not know where Chance was.

My favorite was when I was downstairs putting away clothes that no longer fit the kids anymore.  Chance and a friend were right across the way from me and I could hear them chatting away as they made Lego Creations across an extra table Chance has converted into his personal Lego land.
Some of Chance's siblings wanted to join in the Lego land experience, but Chance and his friend wanted to create alone.

Then Chance's dad started calling us all up to start an outdoor movie.  Then he added,"If you all don't come now, we won't have time to finish the movie before  bedtime."

Chance didn't move or respond which was weird since he had been so excited for the movie.
Finally, I got up from where I was packing boxes and looked over in Chance's direction.
It turns out that Chance had his implants turned off and was signing to his friend about how they could build alone now since his brother went upstairs.  The friend he was playing with that day wore an implant too, so they both went offline together.

I had to wave like a madwoman to get his attention so I could tell him the movie was starting.

With these sort of instances happening at our house, I am wondering if I want an implant that I can remove when I am involved in a good book or just want to let my creative juices flow with out interuption.:)

We have told Chance that he needs to tell us when he turns his implants off just so we know he will not be available to hear our voices.

2 comments:

Nele said...

My family and I have the same problem. I really like reading in the quiet or generally doing everything in silent bliss when I'm at home. I guess, every deaf child/adolescence does that. Anyway, it always drives my Mum crazy, that I cannot hear her. She often wishes that she could get implants, too. :)

The good things is that my Mum never has to do some frantic searches in our house, because I can always be found in my room. ;)

I still agree with that part, that Chance needs to tell you where he is. I hope Chance does it in the very near future.

P.S. Your blog is awesome. I always read blogs from other Mom's writing about their deaf toddlers, but this one is different. Chance is 12 years old and it's really something else to read about a 12-year old boy instead of a little deaf toddler. Way to go!

Ann said...

I too enjoy turning off the sound and going into quiet undisturbed bliss! :)