Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

THOSE parts........

Chance and I were sitting at the table talking grammar. The assignment was for Chance to look up words in the dictionary and see if they were verbs, nouns, adjectives etc.

Chance was looking down at the words he would be looking up as I was reading more of the assignment and that was when I heard the giggle.

Chance repeated one of the words and then he giggled some more and closed his eyes.

"Do you know what that word means?" I asked Chance as the thought dawned on me that Chance was confusing the word in the assignment with a slang word for a certain male body part.

Chance clasped his hand over his mouth and nodded yes.

"What does it mean?" I asked trying to make sure that I knew what was going through his head.

With a somber expression, Chance informed me,"You don't want to know."

Chance was trying to protect my innocence. What chivalry.

He was protecting me from a word that did not mean what he thought it meant but was a close cousin to the word he thought it was.

I did not want to make Chance feel embarrassed. I told him what the actual slang word for his anatomy was, and then he said,"Oh ya! It sounds kind of like the other word." He replied sheepishly. I agreed that the two words sounded alike.

Then I asked him what the actual word was for this particular body part. Chance gave me a few more slang words giggling and laughing so hard that I could not help but join him.

We came to a consensus on what the actual name was and Chance sayed,"Oh ya!"

I told him that he would hear many many names for that particular body part over the years but that we did not need to use all of them.

My boy now hears the slang phrases used by other kids and is learning all kinds of words that we don't use at home.

Who could have imagined this day would come?!

So, now Chance knows SEVERAL words for his male body parts. These are some of the things you learn by age 9 going on 10 I guess. Hopefully, these are words that don't need to be used all that often by boys age 9 going on 10:)

1 comment:

Ammie said...

FUNNY! I can just picture his face now! And his giggle.