Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Karaoke Machine

Chance got just what he asked Santa for this year. A karaoke machine! He has been singing his little heart out. There are Christmas songs, Disney songs and movie songs that Chance entertains us with now.

Chance has always loved music and this little machine is giving him just the outlet to let his heart sing that he needed.

Music through an implant is different for different people. It is not heard the way a normal ear hears music. Neither is sound. But how well music is processed and heard seems to vary from implant user to implant user.

Chance has a harder time getting a tune down, but that is expected. Due to this fact, it is interesting to hear him singing a song he is not familiar with. He needs more time to hear the melody and catch the tune so to speak. Though Chance's dad commented that we have had several hearing kids from the neighborhood in singing and they don't sound any better than Chance does. They just catch the tune and lyrics faster:)

Chance had a friend over to play who is also deaf and they were both singing at the same time to one of the songs.

Chance's brother had a friend over also and as he went up the stairs, I heard him say,"What are they singing?!"

Chance's brother immediately responded with,"Dude! They both have implants! It takes longer for them to learn the song!"

I thought, "Way to stick up for your brother!"

Chance is actually doing really well with the music. The lyrics scroll down the T.V. screen and so Chance can read what the words are. I have heard him getting closer to the tune of some songs in the last few days.

We are curious to see how well Chance seems to hear the tunes and melodies.
Chance loves to learn songs and sing. It takes him longer to learn songs and as far as singing right on tune, he struggles. Heck, I don't sing right on tune either. Our state AGBell Conference had a session on music and cochlear implants. The presenter made the point that people with no hearing loss range across the board with regards to being able to carry a tune. There are factors such as natural ability even if the hearing loss was not considered.

So we'll see how Chance does with all of these new songs at his disposal.

1 comment:

Ann said...

This is interesting to me. I love music and love singing. I've been on tune and a good singer at times in the past, however since I've had my cochlear implants, despite hearing better, somehow it seems harder for me to be "in tune". I can't figure that out for the life of me and it does make me a little sad at times! However, I wouldn't trade my implants for anything! I figure if I'm singing out of tune, too bad! At least I'm having fun singing.