Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The proper place for implants

Chance just got home from school and as I was asking him a question to make sure that he had heard me, I wondered why I was not getting a response. It was then that I realized that Chance was only wearing one implant and I happened to be talking to the wrong side of his head. When he came closer, I asked him why he was only wearing one implant. He told me that the batteries had died and he didn't have any more in his backpack. We load that backpack continually with batteries in the front pocket it seems. And Chance has a reserve pack at school so I am not sure what happened but we'll be loading all of the usual pockets and cubbies with batteries.

"Where is your implant?" I asked Chance

It was then that Chance pulled his jacket which had been crumpled up in his back pack out and I started to breath a little faster. Fall is not the time to put valuables in a jacket pocket. The jacket is on in the morning, off in the afternoon and dangled while running to the van or back from recess in between. First Chance checked the pocket on the left, then the pocket on the right.

I meanwhile am having visions of Chance's school run through my mind. I see an implant laying on the sidewalk out where Chance gets on the bus perhaps. Maybe a lone implant alone in the wide hall leading from Chance's classroom. Or perhaps an implant partially buried in the grass outside the school.

I am wondering if I can get to the school and surround it with yellow police tape. Yellow tape running around the parking lot so that no car can get in and run an implant over before we have searched there. Yellow tape blocking the entrances so that we can secure the halls before some child inadvertently steps on the implant and a sickening crunch follows. We may have to buy a metal detector so that we can scan the grass for any objects with metal in them before any child can set foot on the premises.

Then, Chance pulls the implant from his dangling jacket and I am able to breath at a normal rate again. I discuss with Chance how a jacket pocket is not the best storage place for an implant as it can fall out of the pocket. Chance nods and heads over to restock his backpack pocket with batteries.

Looks like we get to go ahead with our regular plans tonight and the family will not be spending their evening searching the school grounds for an implant. How delightful:)

No comments: