Pages

Monday, August 04, 2008

And Chance is super-glued back together...

Chance had some kind of a mishap on his bike while out with our dog. His brother came home and told me that Chance had crashed on his bike and that I might want to come pick him up with the van.

When I got to the next cul-de-sac over where Chance was, he was on the ground next to his bike, our dog licking and comforting him.

I soon assessed that Chance was going to live, he would just have the discomfort of road rash wounds on his face below his eye, his elbow and both knees. The weird thing was, all of the wounds were on the right side of his body except for a puncture wound to his left knee. I think he crashed on his right side, but his left knee hit some screw or maybe the handlebar or pedal. Chance always wears a helmet when he rides, so his implants were unscathed and so was his head.

When I got Chance home, I laid him on the floor and began to ready the wounds for cleaning. Chance did not appreciate this process much, but his siblings were doting telling him they would help with his chores for the day and bringing him Froot Loops even though we only eat those on Sunday mornings.

As I wiped off his left knee, I saw that the wound wasn't long, but I could see the fat layers inside of it.

Luckily we have several nurses in the neighborhood so I called one over for a consultation. I had a morning packed with activities and didn't mind heading over to get stitches if it was needed, but I did not want to hang out at a doctors office to be told stitches were not warranted.

Chance lay back on a pillow while the nurse and I discussed and evaluated his knee. She said that the wound met the criteria for stitches though it would probably only take one or two. She pulled out her first aid kit and then.......we super glued Chance's knee back together.

Chance had been watching T.V. but heard us discussing the glue and pulled his head up from the pillow and said,"Super glue?!" He was both intrigued and concerned. I explained that the super glue would help his skin heal back together while it held the two parts in place.

My husband pointed out that we wanted to have a little chat with the kids now about how we don't just super glue ourselves together at will. Nor do we ever just play with super glue.

So, Chance has been put together again, and all is well once again.

No comments: