Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Should we be worried that a deaf child is swimming?

Chance started his second session of swimming lessons for the summer. As usual, I went over to Chance's teacher to tell them that he is deaf. We actually did something a little different this time in that we had Chance keep his implants on for the first few minutes of class so that he could talk to his teacher. Chance is now at the swimming level where he is swimming across the length of the pool learning the breast-stroke, free style etc. Since he would be far away from his teacher at times and not able to read their lips, we thought that having Chance and his teacher talk at first might help them come to a mutual understanding of what would be going on.


I usually try to get the teacher alone since I don't want to make a big deal about the fact that Chance is deaf. In the past I have found that some people at the pool are visibly uncomfortable when I tell them that Chance is deaf. Not the teachers who will actually work with Chance, but some of the people in the office, or around the pool. Its like they don't know what to think and are wondering if this deaf child swimming is a good idea or not.

So I have learned to just enroll Chance and introduce him to his teachers on the first day of class and give them basic instructions like look at Chance when you talk to him and tap him if you want his attention and he is not looking at you. After the first lesson, the teachers have all told me that things went great and Chance was catching on.

This time however, Chance's class was located right under a lifeguard tower and about 3 pool staff who were helping kids find their classes were standing right next to Chance's class. I hoped the area would clear real quick so that I could talk to the teacher alone, but after several minutes, it became apparent that I would most likely not get that opportunity.

Chance's dad was at class since he had just flown in from a trip and was home. He came over and told me that he would talk to Chance's teacher so that I could get to the mom and tot class.

I was there as the conversation began and as I have experienced before, worried looks flashed across the faces of the pool staff and the lifeguard leaned down and wanted to hear what was going on as soon as she heard that Chance was deaf. "Does he need someone to sign to him?" The life guard wanted to know. After she heard him speak, she actually said, 'Wow! He talks really well!"

His dad assured them that Chance was capable and that while he was deaf, he had his implants in at the moment so that he could hear the initial instructions on the first day.
I have been watching Chance from afar and he is doing well. I have also talked to the teacher and asked her if Chance needs to wear his implants at the beginning of class so she can talk to him. She has said that he is doing quite well and that we don't need to bring in the implants.

I often wonder what the swimming experience is like for Chance as he is not hearing the splashing, the smack of the diving board or the chattering of kids all over the pool. That is what an experience at the pool is for me, the pool noises and the feel of the water. I would love to be able to experience the pool through Chance's eyes for one day.

Chance is learning to dive correctly, so there is focus on his form as he enters the water. He does what I did as a kid which is to enter the pool with his head not all the way down as that is a little scary as a kid. His teacher of course is trying to help him dive in straight. Since Chance can not hear, I watched one day as Chance was just getting ready to dive off the side of the pool, when his teacher took hold of his hips to help him line up right.

Chance looked startled as he turned to see who was behind him since he did not hear anyone come up. His teacher is working with him to help him straighten up and said that he is coming along. I told her that we would work with him too.

The lifeguard seems to have relaxed about the fact that there is a deaf child in the water after watching him in class for a few days. As for Chance's diving form, I think he's getting it.

No comments: